Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Colombia

Today I have started to post on my blog. I wanted to thank you for coming here and I hope to share a little of me and learn a little about you.


I have been soul searching since I was young. I was born in Medellin, Colombia. I came to the US when I was three years old, and have only traveled to Colombia three times in my life. I was 18 years old the last time I was there, that was thirty-four years ago. So here I start my journey not only of Colombia but also my other Latino friends and with it the magic of learning more of my culture.



A world that is happy and colorful, like many latino countries are. Musical styles that are enjoyed by Colombian Americans include vallenato, salsa and cumbia.


The vast majority of Colombians are Roman Catholic, although younger Colombians are significantly more secular than the older generation.



Colombian food is varied due to the several distinct regions of Colombia. Popular dishes include bandeja paisa, sancocho (chicken soup), empanadas (meat-filled turnovers), pandebono (a type of cheese-bread), and arepas (corncake similar to a tortilla).


The main pastime of Colombians in the United States is soccer, and most Colombian Americans raised in the United States continue to follow soccer. Another popular pastime, especially among the older generation, is parqués, a Colombian board game which is very similar to Parcheesi.

2 comments:

canadiangrl said...

enjoyed your post - thanks

PDX Man said...

Thank you, I hope I can keep up with all the things of the Latino world. PDX